Getting in Shape: How to Motivate the Unmotivated

When you look good, you feel good. And when you feel good…well…ahhhhhhh.

The past year has been extremely hard for me mentally and physically. I’ve been ALL over the place and my body has taken the brunt of the stress.

I’ve never been one to make excuses in the past with working out, but this year it seemed like I had one reason after the next on why I couldn’t work out. It got so bad that I would eye-roll MYSELF when I would make another excuse! Everything going on was true; I’ve had a beyond tragic year so I was depressed which zapped my energy.  Not to mention I hurt my back, got a hernia, no time, traveling, too busy…blah, blah, blah…..the list goes on and on. There were big feelings hiding behind these excuses. I was embarrassed, self-conscious and nervous about how soft and weak my body had become. But more than anything, I was feeling uncomfortable in my own body.

Looking back, that was MY moment. My lack of motivation had now effected my self-confidence. I realized my weakness; how easy it is for me to do ANYTHING else (scrub the bathroom floor with a toothbrush!) besides workout. Or saying “I can’t do _____” before I tried. It is pretty crazy that as humans, we can put ourselves in such a negative mental state, convincing ourselves we can’t do something, when we haven’t even tried yet.

Things that helped me!

1. Knowing that I wasn’t alone. Meeting and talking with others going through the same struggle made me feel more comfortable about putting myself out there.
  2. Set a goal. Checks and balances. If you don’t have a goal it can feel pretty hard to believe that you have accomplished anything! Do you want to lose 10 lbs? Fit into your favorite jeans? Feel more confident in a bathing suit? Whatever your goal is, focus on it when you’re lacking motivation. Put pictures up on your bathroom mirror or refrigerator. I set one to my iPhone screen saver to help remind me to stay focused.
  3. Sign up for a challenge and tell everyone about it (the secret to my success so far!) I recently participated in a 6 week weight loss challenge at my gym. I signed up and told all of my friends and family about it. Why? Because I wanted to be held accountable for my excuses and really be forced to get back into the routine of working out on the regular. The gym required participants to go at least 3 times per week for 6 weeks to remain in the challenge. Bottom line, I needed this. Let’s be real, no one wants to get “kicked out” of the weight loss challenge! My goal was to lose weight but more importantly to complete it and get back in the habit of going. In the end I lost 4 lbs and a total of 6.5 inches.
  4. Take pictures and measurements. I know that 4 lbs is nothing to write home about but my body FEELS better and my clothes fit better. When it comes to weight-loss, “muscle weighs more than fat“. The number on the scale didn’t plummet by any means, but my energy was back my body felt leaner and tighter….oh and the images don’t lie! Here is how I recorded my before and after measurements.
  5. Grab a buddy. A true friend will always be there to help, right?! If not, friend someone from your gym or workout classes and push each other. You can hold each other accountable and it’s much more fun to work out with someone than alone.  One of my friends and I share workout routines from across the country. We don’t get to workout together physically but we help support each other through text and videos. I love seeing her results and it allows us to have a friendly competition without having to operate on the same schedule.
  6. Get new gear. It legit feels SO GOOD to buy new workout shoes, clothes, or a hot new techie item! (Fitbit, iWatch, etc.) Treat yourself to a new item that will inspire you to get moving.
  7. YOU CAN. As an excuse maker I have said it all, which makes my excuse radar very keen. If running hurts your knees; ride a bike. If you don’t like burpees; try a barre class. If you can’t do a spin class; try yoga. There are so many workout options out there! Don’t shoot yourself in the foot until you try. You aren’t cheating anyone but yourself. Starting can be intimidating, I kept reminding myself that each time I would get better and it would become easier. Make YOURSELF proud.

Like anyone, I’ve had my struggles and I have been working my booty off because it’s important to me. I want my daughter to see that it takes effort to accomplish things, I want her to view me as strong and capable.

My dad has always said it’s much easier to lose 5 lbs than it is to lose 50 lbs. It’s not a nice thing to say, but sometimes the truth hurts. If you get too far down the rabbit hole it can seem impossible to get out. I never want you to feel hopeless or like anything is impossible. Here are some pictures that inspired me to try harder on myself.

If this helped even one person out there I will consider it a success. I would also love to hear your stories (comment below please!) so that we can help each other. You aren’t alone in this journey, all you have to do is reach out.

xoxo, Katy

Carsten Tice Photography | Kate Nelle Photography | Lyz Montoy Hair | Stacy Vizcarra Makeup

19 thoughts on “Getting in Shape: How to Motivate the Unmotivated

1. Shannon DeLeon

This is great! Since becoming a mom of three (my first born are twins). I had preeclampsia issues and got really sick. I swelled to an unrecognizable point and the end result on my body has been so defeating. I’m proud no doubt but my stretched out stomach and stretch marks from my boobs to my knees makes me think I’ll never be confident in a swim suit so what’s the point. I get discouraged a lot so it’s nice to hear from others. It’s a constant battle to lose this 50 lbs after having my youngest 1 1/2 ago. I know I can do it I did deep and stay focused. That’s just the problem. My motivation has been in the dumps. Thanks for this post and thanks for being motivation.

2. Hadley

Hi Katy and Shawna! I absolutely love this post. When I found myself overweight due to stress and not taking care of myself, I found a new job and a mantra that was if this new boss would take me at my worst, I would aim to be the best version of myself I could be. With that mantra, and following Nikki’s journey of “strong not skinny,” I began to value strength and my priorities differently. I think the one thing I’d add would be that portion control became my best friend – it’s about not eliminating everything, but enjoying in moderation. Eventually, I found my body rejected some of what used to be my faves (fettucine alfredo!) and craved healthier options once I started cutting back and exploring. Having a tribe to follow online was also super important, because I could see others following their goals and I didn’t have that in my town available to me, so following other like-minded individuals on Instagram helped me push harder towards my goals. I love the approach to take not only to life, but fitness in your blog because it is accessible to all – sometimes we see people online that have lives so unattainable, but your posts can be applied to anyone with any fitness ability, and I love it!

3. Tori Wickham

I absolutely loved reading this post, it is so raw and real! It seems as if there is some kind of unspoken stigma among us women that we are never allowed to have “oh well..I just can’t / want to do this” kind of moment in our lives. When I moved from Huntington Beach to Dallas, I had a difficult time adjusting to my new life, thus I turned to eating my feelings as a result. I use to love working out and being outside, but the more uncomfortable I felt with my body, the less I wanted to do the things I use to make a habit of. What helped snap me out of my little funk was accepting that the things I CAN change and stop focusing on the things that I cannot. By slowly implementing healthy options and excercise back into my life, it was easier to get a grasp on my health again. Thank you so much for sharing your story, it’s empowering to know that we are not alone – it seems like we all go through this one way or another! 🙂

1. Katy & Shawna

Hi Tori! You won the GIVEAWAY! CONGRATULATIONS! Pease email us at info@peacelovestyle.com or send us a DM on Instagram with your mailing address so we can send your prize. Have a great day! xoxo

4. Christina

I look at you as my goal. To me you’re perfect. This past year has been super hard on me as well I feel more than lost down the rabbit hole.

1. Katy & Shawna

Christina, I am so sorry you’re feeling like you are down the rabbit hole. I know the feeling well. What can I do to help you? xoxo katy

5. Veronica Orabuena-Herrera

Hey Katy,
    Just wanted to say that this post was super inspiring. The past few years have been so difficult for me to lose weight. About 3 years ago I had a kidney transplant due to an auto-immune disease. Ever since then, I have gained so much weight due to the meds that I am on. Recently, this past year I got married to the love of my life and we have decided we would like to try to start a family. Due to my weight we cannot start trying until I have lost 30 pounds. I have been working out for the past month or so and haven’t seen the results I’ve wanted. This post just re-motivated me to keep on pushing! Thank you!

1. Katy & Shawna

Veronica, Thank you for being so open and sharing your story. I can’t imagine how difficult the kidney transplant and the entire process prior and post surgery must have been. You are so strong and I am so happy that you found true love and got married. What a high point in life that must have been. I know that if you set your mind to something, like losing weight to have kids then you will do it. The human body and mind are so much stronger than we will ever understand. What kind of workouts are you doing? Have you been strict on eating as well? If your are still on the meds maybe the doctors can analyze them and see if they are the root of some of your troubles. Please let me know if you’d like me to follow up with you. You can do it! xoxo katy

6. Vanessa T.

I bought a treadmill. Having a piece of gym equipment at my house gave me the ability to work out without having to leave or find someone to watch the kids. Even more motivation was that my husband said it was just going to collect dust and thought I was wasting money, so ….I had to prove him wrong! I’m not using it daily but I try for 3 days a week.

1. Katy & Shawna

Vanessa, I love hearing that and I hope you totally prove him wrong! haha 😉 In my eyes 3 days a week is always better than zero days per week. I love how available workouts are now online, have you ever tried any of the Pinterest ones? I want to do a “Slim Thigh Challenge” I saw on Pinterest. I’ll let you know how it goes. xoxo katy

7. Emi

As a college student I’ve struggled with finding the time and energy to get into an exercise routine. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who faces the lack of motivation when it seems there are more pressing things to attend to. Thank you for opening up and inspiring me to take the time to better myself, because thats important too! Go get em! xoxo

1. Katy & Shawna

Emi, SERIOUSLY! I know it’s the last thing on my agenda most days. It is easy and common to be so busy and for me it tends to move down the ladder on the priority list. Thank you for your sweet message! xoxo katy

8. Amelia

First of all, you’re body seriously always looks amazing…just goes to show that something you were insecure about did not even show to someone else. But I do understand too – I’ve been feeling that way about myself since having my baby girl. This post was a good reminder and you are such a good inspiration for me. I joined Equinox last month and have been taking different classes which have been so fun, I actually look forward to going! The scale isn’t really moving but I am slowing feeling better about myself and feel like I can see small changes in the mirror. Now, I just need to stay consistent and I know I will see more results (plus, since I’m paying so much for my membership to this fancy gym, I better get my butt in there!). I like the recordings to see your progress that you linked to, I’ll have to start doing that – great tip! Love you, Katy. xo

9. monicalesterr

Loved reading this. Thank you for the helping tips! I’ve had a gym membership for about a little over a year now, and right now I’m kinda in the boat you were in about not being motivated. But what helped me originally start working out was first, I started really really gaining confidence in myself, and also your friends, Nikki and Brie are very big inspirations to me. They really became my ‘gymspirations’ because of the fact that they helped me realize what it means to love yourself. And also of course that they are amazing at fitness! Thank you 😊❤️

1. Katy & Shawna

Monica, I am so happy that you enjoyed reading the post. It is so hard to get up and GO! Does your gym offer any classes? I find those easier than anything because I can’t be trusted to walk around the gym and do what I need to do. or even know what the machines do in the first place! Hahah 😉 I agree that Bri and Nikki are so inspiring, they truly are as genuine and loving as they seem. Thank your for your sweet message xoxo katy

10. Mary Heckmann

Katy, your devotion, strength, and encourage are inspiring! Love your openness about getting motivated.

1. Katy & Shawna

Thank you SO much! I appreciate your kind words and sweet message! oxox katy

11. Jennifer Goodman

Well consider it a success! This article is motivational! Thank you. Its a great reminder we arent alone in feeling unmotivated and the tips are spot on. Especially tip 6. Getting new gear always helps you to get off to a good start as it makes you feel good.

1. Katy & Shawna

Jennifer, First and foremost thank you! Sometimes you just need to hear that others understand what you’re feeling. I appreciate your message so much! xoxo katy